A Half-Day Montserrat private tour, chauffeured from Barcelona, to visit the stunning Montserrat mountain. The Monastery of Santa Maria de Montserrat with the Black Madonna, the world-famous Boys’ Choir and the stunning rocky landscape are just some of the highlights of this excursion.
- 5 or 6 hours (depending on how long you would like to spend on the site and how much you would like to do/see)
- 5-hour tour:
- 1 to 6: € 750
- More than 6: contact us
- 6-hour tour:
- 1 to 6: € 900
- More than 6: contact us
- What is included?
- Professional licensed guide
- A chauffeured mini-van, separate driver and guide
- What is NOT included?
- Entrance fees to the Basilica, Virgin’s chamber, Boys’ Choir, Art Museum and funicular at Montserrat. These are all optional.
- Prices are per tour, not per person
Pick-up service at your accommodation in Barcelona city or cruise terminal (there is a surcharge for airport collections)
Montserrat Monastery / Holy grotto / Black Madonna shrine / Art Museum / Boys’ Choir (“escolania”) / nature walks+ More details
GREAT TOUR FOR MONTSERRAT TOURS
"A group of friends took a guided van tour to Montserrat. The guide Maria really made the tour come alive. Needless to say the arrangements were all very good, but it was really Maria who made the day for us. Highly recommended"Read on Trip Advisor
WONDERFUL HALF DAY TOUR TO MONTSERRAT
"The Montserrat tour with Laura was just for three of us. The car and driver were excellent. Laura gave us background about Montserrat on the way. My Catholic parents were delighted to get good seating for Mass and to be able to hear the choir."Read on Trip Advisor
WHAT A FABULOUS EXPERIENCE
"Gorka was especially helpful in arranging the tour and answering my many questions about the Montserrat tour and Barcelona. Our guide was Dani who spoke very good english and was easy to be around was perfect for our group. Our tour ended with a meal made all the more special by Dani's participation. The ability to relax and socialize with a local Catalan was priceless."Read on Trip Advisor
At your accommodation in Barcelona city or cruise terminal (there is a surcharge for airport collections)
Basilica of Santa Maria de Montserrat
With its origins in the 11th century, the Benedictine Abbey of Santa Maria de Montserrat definitely takes a prominent space in the mountain. More than 70 monks still live there using the basilica for mass. This newer church is open to the public and we will visit it during the tour.
Black Madonna shrine
The basilica is home to the oldest image of the Black Madonna of Montserrat, patron saint of Catalonia. It is a beautiful 12th-century Romanesque statue situated above the altar and in the early morning, you can access the shrine to take a closer look. To kiss the virgin’s hand and orb is definitely a spiritual experience.
Boys' choir ("escolania")
[Not available on Weekends and school’s holidays]
The Escolania de Montserrat is one of the oldest Boys’ Choirs in Europe. Formed by more than 50 children aged 9 to 14, this is a world-renowned group that even performs internationally so to see them on their home territory is a special treat.
Photo by Jean Robert Thibault [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
A big surprise to any visit to Montserrat is the fantastic Art collection that its museum holds. Among the 1,300 pieces you can find works by Caravaggio, El Greco, Monet, Dalí or Picasso. This is a must if you are an Art lover.
The Holy Grotto (or “Santa Cova”) is a very important place of pilgrimage as this is where, according to tradition, in 880 the image of the Black Madonna was found. The 1.5 km walk to the cave and chapel is a delight with a monumental rosary including works by Catalan Art Nouveau names like Antoni Gaudí, Josep Puig i Cadafalch or Josep Llimona.
Photo by J.Maria Viñolas.
For many, the highlight of a visit to Montserrat is not in the religious aspect but in the magnificent surroundings. There are many walks around the area to enjoy the fabulous rock formations. Five of the routes leave from the monastery so, depending on your level of fitness, you might want to take a stroll and admire the views.
- Once we confirm availability for the tour we will send an invoice for the payment to your email address through our bank’s online secure payment system.
- You can decide with your guide what activities you would like to do during your time at Montserrat: take a look at the monastery, see the Basilica, Virgin’s chamber, Boys’ Choir, Holy Grotto, visit the Art Museum, ride the funicular to the top, do some walks in the area, etc
- Price includes transport in a comfortable vehicle with a separate guide and driver.
- Price does not include the entrance fees to the Basilica, Virgin’s chamber, Boys’ Choir, Art Museum and funicular at Montserrat. These are all optional.
Cancellation policy for the tour and tickets:
- Full refund for tours cancelled more than 72 hours before the scheduled starting time.
- No refunds for tours cancelled less than 72 hours before the scheduled starting time or for no shows.
- In the case of heavy rain the tour will run as usual so please bring suitable rain gear.
- Tickets to the attractions at Montserrat:
– 100% refund for total or partial cancellations more than 60 days before the date of the tour.
– 50% refund for total or partial cancellations more than 15 days before the date of the tour.
– No refund for total or partial cancellations less than 15 days before the date of the tour.