A full-day chauffeured tour from Barcelona to visit the Montserrat Monastery and Codorníu Cava winery. Enjoy the monastery and stunning rocky landscape at Montserrat before heading to one of the best cava wineries in Spain, a company founded in 1551! Visit its Art Nouveau cellar ending with a cava tasting before returning to Barcelona.
- 1 to 6: € 1,175
- More than 6: contact us
- What is included?
- Professional licensed guide
- A chauffeured mini-van with a separate driver and guide
- What is NOT included?
- Entrance fees to the attractions at Montserrat
- Price of Cava Winery tour and tasting
- Food and drinks plus your guide’s lunch
- Prices are per tour, not per person.
Pick-up service at your accommodation in Barcelona city or cruise terminal (there is a surcharge for airport collections)
Montserrat Monastery / Holy grotto / Black Madonna shrine / nature walks / Lunch at a local restaurant / Cava Winery visit/ Cava tasting+ More details
At your accommodation in Barcelona city or cruise terminal (there is a surcharge for airport collections)
Basilica of Santa Maria de Montserrat
With its origins in the 11th century, the Benedictine Abbey of Santa Maria de Montserrat definitely takes a prominent space in the mountain. More than 70 monks still live there using the basilica for mass. This newer church is open to the public and we will visit it during the tour.
Black Madonna shrine
The basilica is home to the oldest image of the Black Madonna of Montserrat, patron saint of Catalonia. It is a beautiful 12th-century Romanesque statue situated above the altar and in the early morning, you can access the shrine to take a closer look. To kiss the virgin’s hand and orb is definitely a spiritual experience.
A big surprise to any visit to Montserrat is the fantastic Art collection that its museum holds. Among the 1,300 pieces you can find works by Caravaggio, El Greco, Monet, Dalí or Picasso. This is a must if you are an Art lover.
The Holy Grotto (or “Santa Cova”) is a very important place of pilgrimage as this is where, according to tradition, in 880 the image of the Black Madonna was found. The 1.5 km walk to the cave and chapel is a delight with a monumental rosary including works by Catalan Art Nouveau names like Antoni Gaudí, Josep Puig i Cadafalch or Josep Llimona.
Photo by J.Maria Viñolas.
Nature walks at Montserrat
For many, the highlight of a visit to Montserrat is not in the religious aspect but in the magnificent surroundings. There are many walks around the area to enjoy the fabulous rock formations. Five of the routes leave from the monastery so, depending on your level of fitness, you might want to take a stroll and admire the views.
Codorniú cava winery
Founded in 1551, Codorníu is one of the oldest companies in Spain and they have been producing cava in Catalonia since the 19th century. Their headquarters were designed by Puig i Cadafalch, one of the leading architects of the Modernisme. It is no surprise that the wonderful main room is often referred to as “The Cathedral of Cava”.
Guided visit to cellar
Entering the winery cellars at Codorníu is like travelling to an underground world full of 100-year-old sparkling wines. The endless corridors are distributed on 5 floors that can store millions of bottles. You will discover it all on a guided visit organised by the winery where you will learn all about the history of the place and how a great bottle of cava is produced.
End the visit to the winery by tasting three of the premium Ars Collecta Codorníu cavas together with a small snack.
- Once we confirm availability for the tour we will send an invoice for the payment to your email address through our bank’s online secure payment system.
- You can decide with your guide what activities you would like to do during your time at Montserrat: take a look at the monastery, see the basilica, Virgin’s chamber, Holy Grotto, visit the Art Museum, ride the funicular to the top, do some walks in the area, etc
- Price includes transport in a comfortable vehicle with a separate guide and driver.
- Price does not include the entrance fees to the attractions at Montserrat.
- Price does not include the entrance fees for the Cava Winery tour.
Cancellation policy for the tour and tickets:
- Full refund for tours cancelled more than 72 hours before the scheduled starting time.
- No refunds for tours cancelled less than 72 hours before the scheduled starting time or for no shows.
- In the case of heavy rain the tour will run as usual so please bring suitable rain gear.
- Tickets to Montserrat and Cava Winery Tour:
– 100% refund for total or partial cancellations more than 60 days before the date of the tour.
– 50% refund for total or partial cancellations more than 15 days before the date of the tour.
– No refund for total or partial cancellations less than 15 days before the date of the tour.