Enter the darker side of the history of the city. On this private tour we learn about the Spanish Inquisition and methods of execution in Barcelona while walking the streets of La Ribera neighbourhood at night.
Arc de Triomf (under the monumental arch)More details +
Dark legends of the city / The Spanish Inquisition / Medieval punishments and tortures / Forgotten cemeteries / Life as an executionerMore details +
Wheelchair friendly tour
AMAZING TOURS! THE ONLY WAY TO REALLY SEE BARCELONA
"There's something interesting or historical around every corner, and the Runner Bean guides were always quick to point these things out and often came up with a funny anecdote or some local legend to boot. In short, if you're coming to Barcelona, you absolutely must use Runner Bean at least once - and definitely more!" Read on Trip Advisor
"My 15 year old son told me that the Dark Past tour was one of his favorite in all of our travels. Coming from him that's a big deal! My daughter asked me about buying a book about the Spanish Inquisition when we got home. Wow!" Read on Trip Advisor
ONE OF THE BEST THINGS WE DID IN SPAIN
"Our guide, Lorna, was excellent and really knew her stuff. The stories about the "dark past" were wonderful. Knowing more about the truth of the Spanish Inquisition and spotting architectural markers on buildings helped us enjoy other historic places even more." Read on Trip Advisor
Arc de Triomf
(under the monumental arch)
How to get to the meeting point
Nearest metro stop: Arc de Triomf (L1). Take the the exit named “Sortida: Arc de Triomf” and look for the big red brick monumental arch.
How to find the guide
Your friendly guide will be waiting under the monumental arch wearing a bright green vest and a name tag.
THE SPANISH INQUISITION STORY
We learn about the history and methods of the infamous Spanish Inquisition. From the trials and interrogations to the big Auto De Fe, the grand finale to showcase the power of the Catholic Church in Spain.
DARK LEGENDS OF THE CITY
Barcelona’s medieval city has many dark stories to tell, some real ones and others the fruit of the imagination and fears of its inhabitants. The guide will intrigue you with some of these unsettling tales from the past.
MEDIEVAL PUNISHMENTS AND METHODS OF EXECUTIONS
Up until recently, harsh punishments and public executions were the staple diet in Barcelona. Find out about the gruesome details of the tortures and the different methods of execution that were most commonly used.
FORGOTTEN CEMETERIES AND THEIR TRANSFORMATION
We visit the site where an old cemetery used to be. A beautiful square nowadays but not so much in the past. The guide will introduce you to the changes that happened to these graveyards 200 years ago and how it affected the development of the city.
THE MOST INFAMOUS EXECUTIONER OF BARCELONA
Each place has its own favorite executioner but Barcelona has a very special one with very peculiar ideas. Learn about his tragedies and triumphs to get a glimpse of this fascinating character.
- This is not a paranormal activity or a scary pranks type of tour. It is a walking tour based on Barcelona’s legends and actual historical facts.
- Because of the content, it is not recommended for children younger than 14.
- We require a deposit of €80 to reserve a tour. This will be invoiced to your email address through our bank’s online secure payment system. The balance has to be paid in cash to the guide on the day of the tour or by bank transfer. If you prefer to pay the whole amount beforehand, please let us know so we can issue the invoice accordingly.
Cancellation policy for the tour:
- Deposits and full payments will be refunded to tours cancelled by the customer up to 72 hours before the scheduled time. There is no refund for tours cancelled by the customer less than 72 hours before the start of the tour.
- In the case of heavy rain the tour will run as usual so please bring suitable rain gear.